Thursday, January 3, 2013

Bake them Biscuits Brown!

I LOVE BISCUITS!!! Now I have posted other biscuit recipes of mine and people have loved them. I normally eschew mixes of any type unless a recipe specifically calls for one. My 89 yr. old mother gave me a bag of this stuff that was recommended by a friend of hers. Its called "Redi-Mix Formula L Biscuit Mix" and I think it makes about the best tasting biscuits I have ever eaten. Someone told me the other day they made biscuits all the time. I said "Oh really", she then said "well from a can". I use a can too but I use it to cut the biscuits out and lay them on the pan.

This fine biscuit mix is produced by Midstate Mills in Newton North Carolina, but you can find it in some stores, I wrote the company and they gave me some places to look. I buy mine at Food Country USA, here in Tennessee, (they have other locations in Southwest Virginia) but I am sire you can find Midstate Mills products all over. You can also mail-order the products from the Mill's website. You really want to try this stuff if you are a biscuit lover. Your friends and family will swear you got these pretty biscuits from a chain store or a "biscuit oriented" fast food joint. Either way, they are awesome. What makes them so good are the dehydrated chips of butter and shortening mixed into the flour. You see little specs of butter in the finished biscuit.

Now, do yourself a favor and get you one of these pastry blenders. I know your Mama never had nor needed one but it makes this all that much easier. I got mine at the huge discount store whose name begins with WalMart. I take 3 cups of Formula-L, one cup of Whole Buttermilk, and mix them together thoroughly. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, knead it about ten times, roll it out with a rolling pin, cut out biscuits, lay them on a cookie sheet (sprayed with Pam), throw them in a 400º oven for about 12 minutes. That's it, they are ready and delicious. Slather them with butter, honey, or jelly.

Enjoy





1 comment:

  1. Haven't seen it here in MS, but will look for it.

    Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!