Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Tasty Grilled Fish Tacos

Grilled Fish Tacos
I spent quite a bit of time in the Yucatan of Mexico when I worked for the cruise lines. Specifically Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. The seafood in these places was amazing.  I feasted on fresh grilled fish, shrimp and two of my favorites, octopus and conch.  Somehow they were tender and very tasty, considering they can be tough if not prepared right.

One of my favorite places to eat was a restaurant in Playa Del Carmen called La Floresta.  I have posted about this restaurant before about their tacos with batter fried shrimp.  I have posted a picture below of the shrimp tacos. Click HERE to see that earlier post about La Floresta.

In my travels in that region I also loved the fish tacos. Usually it was a white, flaky, very mild tasting fish.  Grilled with some garlic and butter and served plain with a side of pico de gallo, and sometimes mayonnaise.  Boy Howdy were they good.

What I am posting today is not necessarily a recipe but a suggestion of how you can make some of the tasty fish tacos.  I am also giving you a tasty sauce to "kick it up a notch" as Emeril says.

The fish I use most is Swai, it is a Vietnamese catfish I find at my grocery store and at Walmart.  OK now before you turn your nose up at Swai know this, I am rather snobbish about fish.  I DO NOT like oily, fishy tasting fish.  These pretty filets come individually wrapped and frozen.  I have never gotten a bad piece of fish with this kind.

I thaw a couple of filets and cut them in half cross-way (easier to handle on the grill).  I rinse them off and pat them dry.   I sprinkle them with a bit of Tony Chachere's and some salt and pepper.  I use the salt sparingly since the Tony's has salt in it.   Remember some of the spices will fall off while cooking.   Next I brush each side with oil.  You can use olive oil but I prefer vegetable oil.  I get my outside grill nice and hot before I go out.  I also spray the grill with some cooking spray, this helps the fish to keep from sticking.

Shrimp Tacos from La Floresta
I cook these on MED heat and try not to turn them more than once.  I recommend a metal spatula rather tongs.  The fish will fall apart if not handled correctly.  Let them get done but not dry out and harden. You're not eating sushi but you're not eating fish jerky either.

A few minutes on the grill and you can check to see if they're done.  I use small flour tortillas, I like La Banderita brand, and usually add some pico de gallo or preferably tomatillo salsa.  I love tomatillo salsa but I don't make it.  I usually pick it up at my local Mexican restaurant who make it great. You can also use a little sour cream or crema fresca for your tacos.

You can use any fish you'd like but I prefer my Swai.  You can also use my "Crema-tillo" sauce on these. Here is the recipe for it.

Crematillo Sauce

12 oz Sour Cream
1 can Rotel Tomatoes (add the liquid too)
1 tbs Vinegar
1 tsp Tony Chachere's
1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp Black pepper (I like coarse ground)
1 tbs fresh Cilantro (minced)

Mix together and refrigerate for an hour or two

You can also serve this grilled fish as a great summertime entree on the grill, I love it and hope you do too.

Enjoy


RouxBDoo

1 comment:

  1. I've been on a fish kick the past few days. These look good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!