Sunday, January 25, 2015

Field Peas and Grits

Today's post is not a recipe, but instead I am just posting a picture of what I prepared for lunch.  As many of you know, I love grits.  Most people who say they don't like grits, I believe, have never had good grits, cooked with seasonings and butter and a bit of cream. Most people have only had grits that were just dumped in boiling water with no salt or pepper that taste like wallpaper paste.

People will go in an Italian restaurant and pay lots of money for polenta, but then they turn around and say they don't like grits. Go figure?

Anyway, I found a can of Field Peas with Snaps the other day in the grocery store.  I added some bacon grease, a little garlic, and some seasoning to the peas and then I cooked them down to where most of the water/liquid had cooked out.

I then cooked a pot of hominy grits and had a wonderful lunch.  It is rare if I have a meal without meat.  As for the grits, I'm going to give you a quick recipe for making them. I said there would not be a recipe in this post, but I can't help myself. So here goes…

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 tbs butter
¼ tsp each of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
½ tsp parsley flakes (opt.)
½ cup quick grits (not instant)

Combine the first 5 ingredients on the list in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Next, using a whisk, add your grits to the boiling liquid, stirring briskly so they don't clump up.  Turn down the heat and cook for about another 10 minutes, or until the grits have absorbed all the water and are thick.  Be sure to stir the grits occasionally while they are cooking.  After they're done, I like to let them sit for about 10 mins with the lid on.  Now, serve and enjoy.

For the record, I prefer stone ground hominy grits, as well as stone ground yellow corn grits, but these quick grits are very good, especially if you're in a hurry.  I'd never use instant grits though.

Oh, by the way, check out this book if you're a grits lover.

Glorious Grits: America's Favorite Comfort Food Hardcover - by Susan McEwen McIntosh

Lots of great recipes here for you to try.  I found it for $3.99 at an Ollie's closeout store, if you have one in your area.  Also there are some good prices on some used copies on Amazon.  Click HERE for the listing.

RouxBDoo

5 comments:

  1. I've nominated you for a Liebster Award! Check it out:

    http://tastefultexanrecipes.blogspot.com/2015/01/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandie so much. I will check it out and see what I need to do!

      Delete
  2. You are so right about people not having good grits. And sadly a lot of places that serve them don't know how to cook them either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also love grits! Totally trying it! Try to check this out! warwick associates boiler room

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right about the grits! They taste like a million bucks when cooked with milk or cream. Grits are one of our favorite dishes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!