Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Crab Cakes Extraordinaire!

Crab cakes are my favorites, and I thought I'd share my recipe with you, my fearless readers, and encourage you to make your own.

For Starters, I know crabmeat is expensive. I usually get the Special, it is a step under the Lump, and two under the Jumbo Lump. It works fine, yes you don't get the huge bites of crabmeat, but it tastes great. I use a cast iron skillet and a mixture of butter and oil to fry it in. I don't use very much, I like a nice sear on the outside, and too much oil or butter makes that difficult.

Here is the recipe...

1 lb. special crabmeat
1 egg (beaten)
3 tbs. mayonnaise
1 ½ tbs worcestershire sauce
12 Ritz crackers (crushed fine)
½ tbs tabasco
½ tbs Tony Chachere's (Creole Spice Mix)
½ tbs garlic (minced)
2 tbs onion (minced)
½ tbs vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 tbs fresh parsley (minced)

Place onion and garlic in a bowl with 1 tbs butter and ¼ cup of water. Place in a microwave for 2 mins. This will wilt them and take some of the bite out of them. Mix all ingredients, except the crab into a bowl and combine. Add crabmeat, scoop into balls and flatten into patties. Place on a plate lined with wax paper and place in the fridge for about an hour, let them firm up.

Fry in a cast iron, or similar, skillet or sauté pan, with 1 tbs of butter and 1 tbs of vegetable oil. Let them go on one side until it is nice and brown, then turn them and do the same on the other side. Serve with tarter or remoulade sauce. For an easy sauce, see the recipe below, it'll do in a pinch. This crab cake recipe should make about six good sized crab cakes, serving about 2 per person.

For my Easy Faux-moulade sauce, mix...

1 cup mayonnaise
¼ cup cocktail sauce
1 tbs lemon juice
2 tbs creole mustard
1 tbs tabasco sauce

RouxBDoo

1 comment:

  1. Crab cakes look yummy. Faux-moulade sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!