Friday, December 4, 2009

Daddy's Peanut Butter Candy

Well, Christmas is quickly approaching and I wanted to pass along my favorite Christmas candy. This is my father's (W.J."Dub" Harkleroad Jr) peanut butter candy recipe. It is similar to a fudge in consistency. My dad created this when he was a teenager. I have included a picture of him around that age. He's gone now, and the responsibility of making it falls to me. I sure miss him, but this always brings a smile while I make it, thinking of him. I hope you make it and enjoy it.

Dub's Peanut Butter Candy

2 lbs light brown sugar
1 can evaporated milk (small 5 oz. can)
¼ cup milk
½ cup Karo syrup (medium green label)
1 stick butter
1 jar peanut butter (10 oz. jar)

Combine sugar, milk, evaporated milk, and Karo syrup in a large pot. Cook over MED until a thick caramel forms. Try to stir very little as it can make it grainy. When the mixture makes a solid, but soft, ball in cool water, (345º with a candy thermometer) it is ready. When the mixture is at the right stage, add ¾ of the stick of butter and remove from the heat. Stir in peanut butter until well blended and it starts to stiffen slightly. Pour into a pan or dish that has been coated by the ¼ of the butter left over. Allow to cool and set up.

RouxBDoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!