Thursday, October 25, 2012

Let's Fry Some Chicken

Frying Chicken always looked so simple when Mama made some or one of my Aunts or Grandmothers, but actually doing it seemed perplexing. I love all kinds of Fried Chicken, I always assumed I would love deep-fried chicken best, but then I would think about the flavorful, tender fried chicken Mama made in her electric skillet. After reading lots of ways online, I decided to do my own deal. So here is my Fried Chicken recipe, and remember you don't have to use cast iron, but it sure helps.


Cousin Timmy’s Fried Chicken

1 cut up chicken (or 8 of your favorite pieces)
2 cups flour (self-rising or plain)
2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika (I prefer smoked paprika)
vegetable oil or shortening for frying
*brine is 4 cups water and ¼ cup of sea salt

Rinse chicken off under faucet, place in one-gallon plastic zip-lock bag, add 4 cups water and the ¼ cup salt for brining. Seal and “smoosh” around to distribute chicken and salt. Place in fridge for several hours, (I like to leave mine overnight).

Remove chicken and rinse off under tap again, dry chicken off with paper towels. Combine the flour and all ingredients in a bowl. Dredge each piece of chicken in flour mixture and lay on a paper plate. In a large cast iron skillet or Dutch Oven, pour enough oil to fill about ½ inch of the skillet, turn on MED HI. When oil is hot, roll the first piece of chicken in the flour mixture again and shake off excess flour. Add to oil, repeat process until skillet is full. Turn oil down slightly and turn chicken pieces until all pieces are brown all over.

Make sure all the chicken is done, pierce the breast pieces and make sure all the juices run clear. Big pieces will take longer that the wings and legs. Place the smaller pieces in a pan covered in foil in an oven at 275°. When all pieces are done place them in the 275° oven with the rest for about 30 minutes. This will tenderize the chicken and insure doneness. You will love this chicken.


Enjoy friends!

2 comments:

  1. Am going to try this in the next few days... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might could kill somebody over a piece of fried chicken right now. I'm on a diet and frying has been off limits.

    Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!