Sunday, November 16, 2014

You're Tellin' Pork Pies Revisited

My Nautical Compass Theme Crust
OK, I know I seem obsessive, but these pies are wonderful.   Why did I create another post concerning these pies?  Well, I have adjusted the recipe and I am making them in my new Springform pan.  I made this pie last night and decided it was so pretty I would post it on my FaceBook page.  I got so many nice comments from friends, as well as "Likes" for the pics I posted.  SO, I decided to bring you up to speed.

In case you missed the recipe on RouxBDoo, here it is... Pork Pies.  Now, I have amended the recipe a bit to make it even more traditional.  I have added about a cup of diced smoked ham, as well as about 3 strips of thick sliced bacon (diced).  These ingredients should be added when you are cooking your ground pork.  I am also adding a nice 1/2 teaspoon of Allspice to the meat mixture.

My new springform pan is something I have been wanting for years, but never really had any use for specifically.  I can't believe though how easy it is to dis-lodge that sucker when it's finished.  I always dreaded trying to cut the first slice and maneuver it out of a pie tin.  Now, I just let it cool a bit, flip the latch and out comes Porky.  If you live in the states and have a Big Lots Store in your area, do yourself a favor and look in their kitchen supplies.  I found a set of 3 different sized springform pans for only $8.00.  They are all non-stick and work great.  Here's a link...  Springform Pan Set.

My Pork Pie in my new Springform Pan
I am not really completely satisfied with this dish though, I want to make a very traditional English version like the famous Melton Mowbray Pork Pies.  This requires a different pastry for the shell, a different shape and size, and a different process to make them.  Traditional English pork pies are put together with the meat being raw and minced into small morsels.  The seasonings are much simpler, salt, white pepper, and allspice (maybe some dried thyme).

After baking for a WHILE, you cool it off and add a collagen or gelatinous stock that holds it all together.  Some recipes have you making the "jelly", as they call it, from sheets of gelatin, or powdered gelatin, that have been dissolved in a stock or broth.  The more traditional version uses pig's feet, or "trotters" as the Brits call them.  These pig's feet are cooked slow in water and spices for hours until they fall apart completely.  They collagen and liquids are strained off and poured into a tiny hole in the lid of the pie. This is then cooled and refrigerated so that the "jelly" sets up, sort of like an aspic.  The tasty, savory, gel fills in all the little nooks and crannies, and makes the pork all happy.

A tasty slice of English Pork Heaven!
The pastry is made with lard, yes lard, which is boiled with water and combined with flour to make a warm pliable dough.  This is used to sculpt into a "Bristol Crock" shaped shell.  It's wonderful to watch.  There are several videos online detailing the process.  These pies are traditionally eaten cold, with a bit of fine mustard, or I like HP Sauce, on the side.

I'll have to say I am also interested in bucking tradition, and to try making these pies using different meats like lamb, chicken, and beef.  I think the lamb would be amazing.  Either way, stay tuned to this blog and we will publish our further foray into Pork Pies, just like me ol Mum used to make them.

Cheerio!!!
RouxBDoo

1 comment:

  1. It looks good. I could go for a piece right now for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!