Monday, August 24, 2009

Metairie Creamy Crabby Soup


When I was first staying in New Orleans overnight with business, I had a friend Doug Ferguson who lived in Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans. Doug and his sweet wife Barbara welcomed me to their beautiful home like family, and I love and cherish them dearly for their wonderful Southern Hospitality.

We would cook from time to time, and I developed this soup while there. Now, we used to add shrimp to it, but I think it is perfect as it is with just the crabmeat. I miss the evenings with the Fergusons since they moved to Texas after Katrina, here is the soup recipe though. I made it tonight and it was wonderful. It made me think of my friends, so I named it after Metairie. I know you'll love it.

BTW you can use less crab, or more soup. I like this balance. Also, you can use the less-expensive claw meat instead of the lumps for this soup. It actually works better for soups like gumbos and bisques.

Ingredients

1 lb crab meat (use cheaper claw meat)
1 cup onion (small dice)
1 tsp garlic (minced)
1 16oz can chicken stock
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
½ stick butter
4 tbs flour
1 tbs Tony Chacere's
¼ tsp cayenne
¼ tsp paprika
¼ tsp nutmeg (or a pinch)
½ tsp black pepper
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs thyme

Directions

In a MED/HI stockpot melt butter, and add onions, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and nutmeg. WHen onions are wilted, add flour, Tony C's, cayenne, black pepper, and paprika. Cook and stir until the roux starts to turn a tan color. Add stock and blend into the roux. Cook for 10 mins. and add crabmeat, milk and heavy cream. Bring to a boil and turn down to LO and cook for about 30 mins. Great with cheddar garlic biscuits. Don't add salt, there's salt in the crab, stock, Tony C's, and the butter. You might get it too salty!

RouxBDoo