Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Pecan Pie Fantasy!

On the cruise ship MS Fantasy, where I work, I have lots of friends from many different countries. One of my favorite people is a lovely, young Indian lady named Soorya Krishna, she works on board with her husband Prajod. Prajod is the Pastry Chef on board but his culinary knowledge is incredible, far beyond pastries and cruise ship fare. He is classically trained and has worked in different parts of the world. Soorya is a waitress who is now at home enjoying her well deserved vacation, Prajod will soon be joining her. They are a lovely couple and my good friends.

My friend Soorya is just as sweet as she can be and has found she LOVES an American dish that is as Southern as a 5-string banjo. Her favorite American dessert is Pecan Pie. Now she found this out be trying a pie made by our mutual friend and Den Mother in Mobile, none other than "crew gate security lady" Tammy Johnson. Tammy loves to bake pies and cakes for the crew. Her Pound Cake has no equal. She also makes one of the best pecan pies in the world.

Earlier in the year, Soorya was bugging me to make her a pecan pie. She was curious to learn how, and even bought some pecans in Mobile. She knows my love of cooking all things Southern, having been the caretaker of my Jezebel Sauce I made on board. I told her I would love to but would need permission from the Executive Chef on board. She stayed after Prajod to make sure it was cool, I picked up some extra pecans in Mexico, and donned my chef's coat and pants and off to the galley I went to make some pecan pies.

Prajod and I worked on the pies, Soorya was still working and couldn't be there. She did manage to stop by and take a few pictures, you can see only the pecans are in the pie shells for prebaking. We got the pies into the ovens and within an hour she was feasting on her favorite sugary confection. I was happy to make these for her, it was fun, and it was her last week on-board before she would be heading home to India. I miss my little friend and hope to see her and Prajod on some other ship on their next contract. I gave her the recipe and she swore she'd try making it at home, or talking her Mother into it, she's good at that.

I thought I'd give you my recipe for pecan pie as well. It was told to me verbally by my friend Corinne from New Orleans. I think it's the best one I've ever used. Corinne used to work at Creole Delicacies in Riverwalk, I miss her and the rest of the girls there. Thanks Corinne for the recipe.

Corinne's Nawlins Pecan Pie

3 whole eggs (beaten)
1 tsp vanilla (or Brandy)
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tbs butter (melted)
⅔ cup light Karo corn syrup
¼ tsp kosher salt
⅓ cup Steen'’s Pure Cane syrup (or light molasses)
1 ½ cups pecans
1 9 inch ready-made pie shell


Pour pecans into pie crust, place in pre-heated 350º oven for 5 mins. Thoroughly mix the eggs, brown sugar, Karo syrup, Cane syrup, vanilla, butter, and salt in a bowl, and pour over pecans after they’'ve cooled. Place into oven for 45 to 50 mins. Let cool and set-up before slicing.

RouxBDoo

2 comments:

  1. I have some Steen's in the pantry. Thanks to a tip from you! I might need to go ahead and use it up along with those pecans in my pantry. You know so they won't go bad!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pecan pie has always been one of my favorites! I will have to try it with the Steen's Cane syrup (the one ingredient that differs from my recipe).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for you Comment. Come back soon!